Creating a successful marketing mindset is equally important to having the right marketing actions in your marketing plan. Did we say "marketing plan?" Yes, you need to develop a marketing plan, so you have a road-map of where you are going and why you're going there, but more on this in another article.
For a small business, embracing your potential customers point of view is your number one priority. It gives you significant benefits and it means that you understand your customer's needs and wants, thus enabling your ability to build rapport and establish good communication with your customers; ultimately satisfying them, and subsequently building repeat business, and referrals.
A good marketing mindset not only puts your customer at the center, it enables you to develop a logical, consistent and repeatable sales process.
What else helps with mindset?
- Confidence in both yourself and the service you offer.
- Overcome your tendency to underestimate the value of what you offer (everyone has this issue) :
Unless we ourselves know the true value of our products or services it can be very difficult to convey this to your potential customers. There are many downsides to not knowing your value such as undercharging, less confidence in handling sales objections, or asking for the sale and not knowing how to price your products and services.
How to Start?
Key aspects that help to create a successful marketing mindset include:
- Write down the key values of your offers; choose no more than three and prioritize these values.
- Understand how to convey each value and sell your products/services without being pushy or salesy.
- Identify potential sales objections, and then explore ways of overcoming these sales objections.
- Learn how to price your products and services.
- Understand the concept of value pricing – and its implications for your business.
- Discover how to charge what you are really worth and get it.
As well as developing a successful marketing mindset, it is important you have a marketing plan: a well-developed action guide to keep you focused, on track, and successful.